Dr Tsagaris is a pioneer on the cosmetic applications of acupuncture in the UK. His tailored made signature cosmetic acupuncture treatment has become the natural alternative of beauty insiders and international celebrities often quoted as “A whole body ageing-embracing facial”.
Acupuncture has been used as a therapeutic tool, thousands of years, with inspirational applications and variations that illustrates its vast potential in clinical practice. The Chinese word ‘beautiful’ originally meant ‘pleasant to sight’ and is one of the earliest characters inscribed on oracle bones from 16-11 BC. When we examine the applications of acupuncture in regards to its cosmetic uses, we can only keep exploring and investigating its science which is a multifaceted dynamic skin /mind/organ/function interaction that elevates the practice to a new aesthetic innovative technique we use nowadays to deliver result oriented benefits.
After an overall health assessment to investigate internal and external causes that affect skin ageing and taking into consideration the overall health of the patient, the treatment starts addressing health issues by practicing TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) acupuncture on the body and ears and herbs or supplements to facilitate health improvement are discussed. The session progresses with cosmetic acupuncture (painless insertion of highly specialised tiny needles on the face) that focuses on skin bio-stimulation, activating its vital repairing and re-energising mechanisms. The method, remodels the structure of the skin and stimulates healing skin’s mechanisms from within the dermis (middle part of skin), resulting in a noticeably invigorated, healthy and youthful appearance.
“It was the most amazing treatment”
Sonia Juttla, Stella magazine
The holistic and aesthetic journey involves diagnostic evaluation, ear and body acupuncture. In additional to the needles traditional as well as modern tools and techniques are used to enhance the therapeutic outcome of the treatment. Facial acupressure- triggering facial fascia and relaxing the subcutaneous muscles, facial cupping-to invigorate skins microcirculation and facilitate fluid movement, special derma-rollers- for targeted areas and skin surface smoothing, sonic frequency technology- to activate the skin on a cellular level and other unique equipment introduced according to the individual, are creating an inspiring and bespoke experience. During the treatment, issues with neck and décolletage may be discussed and explore treatment options.
Cosmetic acupuncture addresses skin structural changes- fine lines and wrinkles, but particularly aids to activating the skin improving firmness enhancing microcirculation and preventing photo-ageing by strengthening the skins own ability to resist external ageing factors such as UV sun exposure. It also addresses internal factors that may affect the skins ageing process, such as digestive intolerances, inflammation, hormone changes and oxidative stress. The treatment accelerates a cascade of crucial healing triggers within the skin which activate:
- Localised dermal micro-wound response: Skin becomes actively alive. The skin is an organ system at the interface between our complex anatomy and the often harsh challenges of the environment. Normally, wounds in the skin trigger a rapid, orderly, and effective healing process. The intricate skin repair process has been organized in three sequential and overlapping steps: the inflammatory phase, the proliferative phase, and the remodelling phase.
- Fibroblast stimulation: Skin stimulates more collagen and elastin. Fibroblasts are able to respond to tissue immunological extracellular signals deriving from a needling trigger, stimulating more fibroblast cell proliferation, skin growth factors as well as more collagen activation. Collagen metalloproteinases (enzymes which are involved in skin would healing) released by fibroblasts and macrophages degrade collagen Type III of the granulation tissue and replace it with collagen Type I, which is fundamental type of collagen for skin regeneration.
- Micro-circulation: Skin establishes healthier microcirculation. Angiogenesis (regeneration of skin blood supply) is an ongoing process in two phases: the proliferation of new blood vessels and the pruning and re-modelling phase. Different skin cell types produce angiogenic factors triggering new and healthier skin microcirculation.
- Epidermal growth factor stimulation: Skin enhances its renewal potential. Growth factors are naturally occurring polypeptides involved in cell growth, proliferation, migration, and differentiation and play a critical role in modulating skin inflammatory responses, enhancing tissue formation, and inducing angiogenesis. They are essential for successful skin density formation and re-modelling processes in the controlled wound regeneration process.
- Epidermal cell proliferation: Skin benefits from stem cell regeneration process. The skin exhibits tremendous regenerative potential because different types of stem cells (SCs) are located in the skin and its associated structures. The stem cells maintain skin homeostasis and regulate skin damage under physiological conditions. Among these SCs, epidermal stem cells (EPSCs) are of particular interest because they are numerous and benefit all layers of the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
The treatment is able to address skin conditions such as melasma, pigmentation, rosacea, acne as well as for conditions such as, facial paralysis, trigeminal neuralgia and corrections for aesthetic injectables, quicker post surgical facial surgery and noticeable enhancement of aesthetic procedures such as mesotherapy, fillers, hyaluronic acid treatments and skin photo-stimulation. The treatment is also very effective for issues with tight jaws, grinding teeth, snoring, sinuses congestion and breathing problems. The medical concerns are addressed in a specific manner according to the purpose and concerns of the session.
Complications and side effects are said to be minimal to none. Very occasionally, a superficial localised bruise from the acupuncture needles may occur, which is the case for any needle or injectable handling treatment and appropriate care and advise during and after the treatment will be provided. Usually this happens when the skin is sensitive or the patient is taking medication that encourages bruising. This treatment is quick, relatively painless without downtime. Aftercare will be proposed according to the invidual.
The treatment offers a complementary LED light therapy which activates skin cells to stimulate more collagen and elastin, address skin health related issues and reinforces its resistance to the ageing process or a soothing mask according to the needs of the individual at the time. LED Phototherapy is a non-invasive facial treatment that uses narrow band, non-thermal LED light energy to trigger the body’s natural cell processes to accelerate cell rejuvenation and promote skin health balance. It’s recommended and used for skin rejuvenation, sun damage, acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, sensitive and inflammatory conditions, wound healing and scarring as well as anyone looking to restore skin’s radiance which makes it a perfect addition to the overall treatment.
A Clinical Acupuncture Journal has published (1996) of 300 cases treated in China with cosmetic facial acupuncture, where 90% had marked effects with just one course of treatment. The clinical outcome was: improvement in skin texture and complexion, increased elasticity, reduction of depth of wrinkles and overall sense of wellbeing.
Harrods Wellness Clinic, London, UK
Lanserhof at The Arts Club, London, UK
Perfect-Blue, Athens, Greece
Treatment duration: 1 hour
Single session price:
Course of four price:
Course of six price: